Thursday, April 22, 2021

Do masks save lives?

I've seen a number of anti-masking posters/stickers appear in my local area. This particular example was on a postbox. I'm sorry it's not the clearest picture - I did try going back for another, but it had been removed by then.


I don't teaching critical thinking/informal logic, but it strikes me that this would be a useful example of bad reasoning.

It may be that someone is telling porkies, but that certainly isn't a logical consequence of the preceding claims, without at least some implicit premise.

This seems to be questioning whether masks save lives, but the mere fact that someone who hasn't worn a mask hasn't died doesn't show that they don't. By way of analogy, I haven't worn a seatbelt, crash helmet, or parachute at any point in the past year. But the fact that I haven't died doesn't cast doubt on the claim that these things save lives.

1 comment:

  1. There are multiple NBN New Development Applications accessible for the people willing to employ broadband services. However, there are manifold factors that need to be considered while deciding which one is suitable for the place.

    Here, in this brief article, we spoke about all those points that need to be mentioned beforehand having the NBN Services.


    value services

    ReplyDelete