Praesidium

Friday, December 28, 2007

The 19th Century Canon

My friend Rob is currently getting to grips with Plato.

I'm currently working on filling some more recent gaps in my knowledge. I hope I know Mill's Utiltiarianism and On Liberty pretty well, but I decided it was about time I read something else - so I've just finished Considerations on Representative Government. Just the Subjection of Women left now to finish my four essay set (which, btw, was only £2.99 when I bought it in 2000, and now apparently £6.99 cover price!).

I've followed that up by re-reading Marx's Communist Manifesto today. If I get time next term, I'd like to finally attend Jerry's Hegel and Marx class and learn a bit about this chap. I hear he may be important...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:05 am, Blogger Nick said...

Don't forget to go to David Leopold's lectures on Hegel and Marx. He's just written a book on the young Marx which is (apparently) regarded as a most important work on the subject in quite a number of years.

 
At 3:14 pm, Blogger Chris Brooke said...

It's a good book. Look out for my forthcoming review in - oh, yes - Modern Jewish Studies. Though I think there's been a lot of important work on the young Marx recently -- stuff by Gareth Stedman Jones, Allan Megill and Daniel Brudney, too -- and I don't think any of these writers can claim to stand head-and-shoulders above the others: all four have sensible, significant things to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home