Sunday, September 14, 2008

RIP Mr Bayes

I just, somewhat belatedly, heard about the death of my old English teacher, Roger Bayes. A personal obituary - covering his three main passions: English, cricket and alcohol - can be found here.

For my own part, I'd like to add that I was taught by Mr Bayes in year 7 (1993-4) and again in Sixth Form (1998-2000), where my memories of his passion for Remains of the Day will stay with me - even if I did once catch him out on a textual point. That and him literally hopping around, even redder than usual, during a particularly animated portrayal of Norman from Ayckbourn's Norman Conquests. Sadly, I haven't had as much time as I'd like for literature since leaving CRGS, but his enthusiasm was an inspiration. RIP.

[From the school website] There will be a service in the school hall in memory of Roger Bayes on Friday, 26 September at 4.30 pm. Former colleagues, students and parents are most welcome to attend but we would be most grateful if you would e-mail JHowlett [at] crgs.co.uk (or telephone 01206 509103) if you are coming along, so that we may make adequate seating arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment