Praesidium

Saturday, December 20, 2008

30 Songs: First Lines

If all goes well, I should be on a train to London when this post appears. Since blogging may be a bit sparse while I'm home, I thought I'd leave a little something to amuse you - I saw this meme on Facebook and thought I'd share:

Step 1: Put your music player on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 30 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing.
Step 3: Strike through the songs when someone guesses both artist and track correctly.
Step 4: For those who are guessing -- looking the lyrics up on a search engine is CHEATING!
Step 5: If you like the game post your own

1 Crucified millions go to mass every day

2 Weighing on your mind, like a ball and chain

[One skipped because it had no lyrics: Spahn Ranch ‘Commitation’]

3 I warned you, you didn’t believe me

4 You got your tongue pierced once

*5 [Song title] Sooner than much later, we’ll be there

6 Gonna let the lightning / Tuck me into my bed

7 Sister step love I torn equal Filter and refine my black holes

?8 So in love she says

*9 You need coolin’, baby, I’m not foolin’

10 Came in from a rainy Thursday on the avenue

11 One million light years from home

*12 Melinda was mine

13 We are here to make a choice between the quick and the dead

14 [Song title] Just a little more peace

15 Welcome to the edge of the world

16 Well you may think that this is it

17 I know that I want you

?18 Menage a trois

19 Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, Marijuana, Ecstasy and Alcohol

[Another without lyrics: Fluke ‘Amp’]

20 [Song title] you’re here again

21 You thrust the knife into my side with words you say you realize

22 Our domain, this kingdom come

[Instrumental: LCD Soundsystem ‘Yeah (Pretentious Version)’]

?23 A million beaches all laid out

*24 [Song title] You talk about things that nobody cares

25 She said words don’t matter

26 Don’t believe in anything

27 [Song title] Baby is this love for real?

28 Let's see a mortal type

?29 They found your body by a lake

30 The winds of fortune don't blow the same

* = cover

? = to be honest, I’m guessing somewhat at these


A few I had to guess at as I couldn't find the lyrics online. Also I've removed the song title from some that I think would be a giveaway.

Only two artists feature twice and I was somewhat surprised/disappointed that a number of my favourites are missing - though, at least, I don't think there was anything too embarrassing...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:05 am, Blogger Rob Jubb said...

9 is Whole Lotta of Love, originally by Led Zeppelin, and 19 is Feelgood Hit of the Summer, by Queens of the Stone Age.

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Both correct (the cover was by Hayseed Dixie, though I also have the original of course).

Some of these are pretty obscure, but 3, 10, 11 and 30 ought to be reasonably gettable.

 
At 8:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that I was a music aficionado but I don't think I got even a quarter of these right. Thank you for the difficult test!
http://whoditty.com

 
At 9:07 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I don't pay that much attention to first lines either - in fact, I wouldn't be able to get all of these now! - and, since I didn't skip any songs (bar the instrumentals) some are pretty obscure (i.e. they include b-sides, at least one unsigned demo, etc).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home