Saturday, November 04, 2006

Bleg

Watching The Simpsons Friday night (I said it could be educational), Bart thrust his book of short stories into the dog's mouth. The camera closed in on what was left of a page reading "All in all, it had been a very strange lottery. The End" I was wondering if anyone could tell me where this came from?

Googling has so far proved ineffective. All I've found is it was used in a signature by someone posting on deviantART. The only other lead I got was to Shirley Jackson's The Lottery, but that's not the last line of her story.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:52 pm

    It may be a reference to Shirley Jackson's story, despite not being the actual final sentence.

    "'It isn't fair, it isn't right,' Mrs. Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her" is a bit heavy for a cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Milan. You may be right, but I don't think that sentence occurs in Jackson, and it would be odd to expect people to get the reference from a different line. Hence what had me thinking it might be a reference to something else.

    ReplyDelete