Saturday, April 05, 2008

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see this match as I was travelling back to Oxford for a wedding, but I did get to follow most of the second half. This is the third meeting between these two sides this season to end in a 1-1 draw (first, second). I suppose I should be grateful that it's better than last season, when we got knocked out the FA and League cups in the space of a week!

Another 1-1 draw on Tuesday, in the second leg of our Champions League quarter final,
will see the match go to extra time (which, other things being equal, I'd probably settle for right now - we'll be at home and I think our players seem fresher). It's no doubt with that in mind that both managers chose to rest players, with Benitez making eight changes including handing a debut to 20 year old Plessis (who's earned good reviews in the reserves this season).

Liverpool's second string had the better of the first half, and led through a Crouch goal. (I was surprised not to see Crouch last week, given how he tormented Arsenal last season). Sadly, Bendtner made some amends for clearing a shot off our line on Tuesday by equalizing and that was how the match ended, despite cameo appearances from Gerrard and Torres.

I can't say I'm too disappointed. Assuming Everton beat Derby, they'll now only be three points behind us, but their remaining five games include Arsenal and Chelsea, which will both be tough even if the London clubs rotate/rest players. A point from the Emirates isn't bad, especially with the side we put out (though Arsenal rotated too) and Tuesday is more important now.

No comments:

Post a Comment