Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Teaching Jobs

I recently applied for a job that required me to outline two courses I could devise and teach for final year undergraduates. Thankfully, as far as I'm aware, the job application process isn't as bad here as the other side of the pond, where it seems candidates are regularly expected to submit statements of their 'teaching philosophy', sample syllabi, student evaluations, and who knows what else. Here the norm is apparently to rely on referees (as if any of mine have any idea what I'm like as a teacher...)

Anyway, this post on Leiter Reports about advice for those applying for teaching jobs still seems to be of some relevance.

And, while I'm linking, I think I may have linked to this humorous attempt at writing a teaching philosophy before, but I also recently saw this observation about student evaluations. This, of course, raises the same question about who's competent to judge the performance of experts as Plato did long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment