Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dasturzada Dr Jal Pavry Memorial Lecture

This afternoon Jonas invited me to the Brasenose summer garden party - sandwiches, strawberries and Pimms.

Unfortunately, we couldn't stop too long as we went to see Jay Wallace give the snappily-titled Dasturzada Dr Jal Pavry Memorial Lecture on The Deontic Structure of Morality (paper here). Too be honest, I wasn't too impressed, but then I'm not sure I followed too well - I wasn't clear what this deontic structure was, or the importance of the fact that some of his examples of discretion seemed to be self-regarding cases. It became clear during the questions that whatever his aim was it was rather minimal in any case.

I'd been thinking I hadn't been out to dinner much this term, not with the moral philosophy seminar or political theory research seminar, nor with Peter Singer or the Nuffield seminar. There was a dinner with Jay Wallace, but Jonas, Brian and I went back to Brasenose and caught the end of the party then went to Zizzi's for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment