Monday, February 06, 2006

SuperBowl XL

That doesn’t mean eXtra Large, but 40. I’m not exactly an American football fan. I watched about half the Superbowl two years ago in college, and this time again a big bunch of us decided to pile round a friend’s for beer, Doritos, pretzels and watching big American guys beat the crap out of each other.

The atmosphere was greatly improved by some inspired music thanks to Nick's i-Pod, including Led Zep's 'Immigrant Song' and Chumbawumba's 'Tubthumping'. Extra comedy value for playing the wrong AC/DC song too... On which, Ed's comment "Not having cheerleaders is sexist. What are the women supposed to do?" is also worthy of mention. (We had our own Pittsburgh cheerleaders in Lisa and Sanne, however)

Most of us only declared allegiances a day or two before the match, so weren’t too bothered. I was for the Seattle Seahawks, who lost. Unfortunately pretty much all the dodgy refereeing decisions went against them – as revealed here. I can’t be bothered to go through them all, but Seattle had a touchdown denied, and Pittsburgh were then given a debateable one – so what could’ve been 10-0 was actually 3-7.

I have to say, I seemed to have a pretty good grasp of what was going on by the end of the game. I was even able to have a conversation about it later with an American. Wish I hadn’t stayed up until 3am for the result though…

No comments:

Post a Comment